|Date of Release:||09/07/2018|
|Telecom & Broadcasting:||Consultation|
New Delhi, the 9th July, 2018: Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) today issued draft Telecommunication Tariff (64th Amendment) Order, 2018 on ‘Purging of Infructuous/ Redundant provisions of Telecommunication Tariff Order’ (TTO)
2. TRAI had set up a Committee consisting of representatives from TRAI, Telecom Service Providers, and Industry Associations to identify Infructuous/Redundant Regulations which could be purged. The Committee held several rounds of discussions and made recommendations suggesting purging/modifying of several provisions of existing regulations. The recommendations of the Committee, inter-alia, included proposal to delete, purge or modify various provisions of TTO.
3. The Authority considered these recommendations and decided to bring out an amendment to the tariff order to give effect to the recommendations made by the Committee.
4. The initial TTO was notified in 1999 and several amendments were made to incorporate new provisions. Some of the provisions of TTO, 1999 had become infructuous and redundant due to passage of time and several subsequent amendments of the TTO. Some of the existing Schedules to the TTO relating to Radio Paging Service, Telex and Telegraph Services, Global Mobile Personal Communication by Satellite (GMPCS)etc. which were part of the original TTO, 1999 has become infructuous as these services have lost their relevance in the modern time. Such Schedules are sought to be removed from the TTO through the proposed 64th Amendment.
5. The draft for proposed 64th Amendment to the TTO is being placed on TRAI website – ‘www.trai.gov.in’. Comments on the draft TTO 64th Amendment shall be furnished latest by 26.07.2018 and counter comments, if any, shall be furnished by 06.08.2018.
6. For any other clarification/ information,
Shri Kaushal Kishore, Advisor (F&EA) may be contacted at e-mail ID advfea1(at)trai.gov.in or Tel Fax: +91-11-23230752.